Thursday, November 4, 2010

I knew it wouldn't be all smooth sailing, but honestly......

After day eight I was well aware I wouldn't accomplish much on my "regrouping" project.  I knew when I started this that even though I was committed to not taking on more projects and saying no where I could, that I still had several commitments that I needed to fulfill.  Tues-Thurs was back to back appointments, meetings and social engagements.  I was getting through those days pretty well.  I loved the things I was doing, from classes I was teaching on Success Skills to meetings and events with Soroptimist.  I then was blessed to meet a gentleman who wanted to clean my carpet.  At first I was simply excited to get that off my check list.  But as we talked I realized that he might be a great salesperson for Neil's agronomy business.  We chatted for a bit and as I realized that he had a farming  background and a MBA, I looked at him and said straight out, "Listen, I believe that sometimes we are meant to meet certain people in our lives.  Can I tell you a little bit about what my husband is doing?"  He said sure and as I explained to him he seemed rather interested and I invited him to the training on had the next night with the other salespeople. 

He arrived before the other salespeople arrived and that gave him and Neil some time to talk.  He showed him the program and he was texting people about it before he even left the room.  It was exciting to see his proactive way of going about things. 

We then met with him and his brother the next day to see if it was something he's be interested in.  It was great to see the enthusiasm and "go get 'em" attitude they had. 

On Thursday as I ran about doing the Taxi driver thing and holding the appointments I had, I received an email on my phone just 30 mins before a Soroptimist "new member" meetings I was attending.  I had 2 guests coming and wanted to be on my game.  As I read the email I was a bit taken back.  Let me step back and explain a few things.  Currently a majority of the students I have are homeschool students that participate in programs connected with the state.  By doing that they receive funding to help pay for classes, activities, books, learning programs etc....  That is how most of my students are thus paying me.  But I was having the "World Language House" bill them.  I was a teacher for the WLH and thus they bill the homeschool organizations and WLH keeps a cut for doing the paper work.  I was teaching both classes at the WLH and private one on one classes.  Back to the email....  I get an email from the WLH stating that my private students weren't covered under her liability insurance, so she wouldn't do the billing for me and all the work I'd done that month outside the WLH wouldn't be paid for and neither would any in the future.  There was absolutely no discussion of options, phone call anything.  It was dropped like a bomb and then an email went out to the parents directly after mine and so within 5 mins of getting the email I was getting phone calls from parents asking what was going on. 

I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  These students mean the world to me and I put my heart into my work and love to see the kids develop their talents. 

To make a long story short and went and confronted her face to face because I was so discussed with her lack of professionalism and sending this out as an email.  She expressed her concerns basically accused me of not being qualified to do what I did and even questioned what it is I teach the students.  This after helping her with her business for months for free. 

I wanted so much to not let what she had said bother me, to just roll with it.  I stopped and thought about each and every student I'd worked with.  I knew the successes each had had.  I knew the comments the parents had made and their feelings on the changes their children had made.  I know I always can learn more and do better, but I also knew I had provided good service and made a difference.  I had to slow down and digest and brainstorm.  I watched several movies, ate too much chocolate and cried for 24-48 hours then put on my thinking cap. 

I love working with homeschoolers and I can get licensed so that I can bill directly for the homeschoolers.  That can all be "fixed" but I can go back and be paid for the work I've already done.  Oh well......  But as I thought about who might want this kind of service I then decided that the private schools might be where I want to attempt to advertise.  I called a friend of mine whose children are in a private school and she works there.  She let me come over and pick her brain which I was very grateful for.  It at least got me thinking and brainstorming instead of just fussing. 

Nonetheless, I still just felt so blue.  Neil and I were trying to work some things out and come to some understandings and that wasn't going very smoothly.  And I just didn't feel like eating any "FROG" what so ever!!! 

I knew when I started this thats one I was very busy and I was going to have to be deliberate about making time to get things done.  And I even knew challences would arise because Satan always tries to mess up our good intentions.  Sigh..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment